Happy Friday everyone!!
It’s foodie Friday and since it’s Thanksgiving Weekend here in Canada, I wanted to share some of my fave Fall side dishes / Vegetarian plates – if you’re not so omnivorous!
- 1-2 Summer Squash (*Yellow Zucchini, Courgette) – in 1/4″ thick coins (*no ends)
- 1/2 a Regular Canteloupe (*if you’re in the Lysteria-prone area, you can use Honeydew)
- 2.5c Pumpkin (*You can use any FIRM sweet squash) – in 1″ x 1″ x 1/4″ dice (*I like the skin on, but you can remove it)
- 2tsp fresh grated Nutmeg
- 2tsp Fresh cinnamon
- 1/2tsp cumin
- 1/4tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4cup fresh chopped Cilantro (*or Italian parsley if you don’t like Cilantro)
- 1/4cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1TB EVOO
- 1tsp Maple flakes*optional*
Optional for Grilling
- 1/2cup Zucchini – Same prep as Yellow
- 1/2cup Eggplant – 1/4″ coins, cut in 1/2 if need (*want everything around the same size/thickness)
- 1/2cup Dried Cranberries
- 1 Red Delicious + 1 Golden Apple – both cored & cut into 1/8″ thick slices
- 1/2cup Firm Feta – crumbled OR you can cube it in 1/4″ and grill it! (*melty & smokey-licious!)
> These are individual options to *jazz* the salad OR you can add em ALL if you’re sharing with more than 4 people.
- Preheat Grill / BBQ to medium-high heat
- Toss the melon in nutmeg & balsmic vinegar, toss the pumpkin in cayenne & cinnamon & the yellow zucchini in cumin, cayenne & S&P
- Brush 1TB oil on the grill, should have a little smoke
- Place all the pieces on the grill with space between them – at least 1/4″
- WATCH THEM!!! This will literally only take 2-3mins – Flip with tongs & another 2-3mins on the other side
- If you’re doing Grilled FETA – do it here – 1min per side AFTER the Veggies are removed!
- Remove to Cookie sheet & let cool until warm, but cool enough that you could pick them up with bare hands.
- Place all Grilled pieces in Large serving bowl (including Feta)
- If using any of the optional “raw” ingredients add them now
- Toss with Cilantro, some cracked Sea Salt & if you have/want Maple Flakes
- Can drizzle with some EVOO+Balsamic, if you want “dressing” (*IMO – not needed)
PROTEIN PACKED PEPPERS
- 6 large bell peppers (red, yellow, orange, or green)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small zucchini, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups cooked couscous
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 ripe tomato, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Slice tops off peppers to make lids.
- Scoop out membranes and seeds and discard (to make bowls)
- In large saucepan of lightly salted boiling water, simmer bowls & lids covered,
- min. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add zucchini and garlic. Saute 2 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice. Cook 1 minute and remove from heat.
- Stir in couscous, chickpeas, tomato, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in cheese.
- Fill each pepper with couscous mixture.
- Place upright in shallow baking dish.
- Cover with pepper tops and bake just until filling is heated through (about 20 mins)
Both of these can be served on ANY night of the week but make GREAT sides to turkeys or whatever “main” you want to serve it with! The Grilled Salad is amazing with Salmon, and the Peppers are really good with Pork or Beef roasts.
Have a Safe, and Blessed Thanksgiving & try to remember that your life goes on after the weekend, and your goals don’t take a vacay!
xo – Mia