Hello Happy Healthy people (*and g’day to the rest of y’all too!)
Today, as it is an “overlap” between National Nutrition Month, and the every-week marker of “Meatless Monday”, I thought I would give you guys one of my fave Vegan/Veggie go-to meals, I got it from my sis, Alex (*see her blog here: http://imalittle.com) & I just tweaked it a bit for my taste & waist!
White Beans & Kale, with Chili Flakes
Sounds simple enough, but it’s creamy, filling, with just a hint, or a haymaker (depending on your tastebuds), of heat. Not to mention it’s chock-full o’Vitamins, nutrients fibre and some protein and with delicious flavor.
What you Need:
- Large Sautée Pan
- 1/2 Large white onion
- 1-2 cloves Garlic
- 1/2 – 2TB red chilli flakes
- 1 (full) TB Coconut Oil (~ if liquid/melted, or you would rather EVOO use 2 TB)
- 1-3 TB additional Oil (*set aside)
- 1 Can of White Beans – drained & rinsed (*you want to add your OWN salt)
- 2-4 cups of Fresh Kale (*I used purple Kale in the, rough chopped (*think bite sized ribbons)
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
Optional: Nutmeg, Thyme, PineNuts, Lemon Juice – all add different nuances to the dish, but aren’t “Needed”
What you Need to DO:
- Warm your oil over medium heat
- Add Onion & when mostly softened, add garlic until both translucent (3-4mins)
- Add in the rinsed Beans, and Salt, Pepper, Chili flakes, and drizzle in a little of the additional oil
- As beans soften, stir and smush the beans, until they are to your desired consistency; adding in a little oil if you notice they’re drying up
(~ I like it creamy, so it takes a little longer for me)
- When the beans are to your desired softness, add in the Kale
(~ start with 2cup, and add more if you like – 3cups is about a 60/40 beans/kale ratio)
- IF using the optional dry ingredients, add them now
- Season with additional salt, pepper & chili, and let it wilt down (5-7 mins)
- IF adding lemon juice, squeeze over the kale & beans after plating.
- No Kale? – Try Spinach or Chards
- No White Beans? – Try Garbonzo (*chickpeas)
- No Coconut Oil? – Use EVOO!
- Not into Heat? – Use Rosemary, and add Nutmeg & Thyme
- Need some Crunch? – Add the pinenuts, or Walnuts, hazelnuts
- Not into Meatless? – Add Tuna, like I do OR try lean Chicken, Turkey or Pork
It is SO easy, yet SO satisfying! For the days which AREN’T “Meatless”, when I take it off the heat, I will toss in a can of low sodium Tonna al Olio (*Tuna Steak, packed in pure EVOO, no added salt) and a squeeze of Lemon – Italian style!
xo – Mia
ps – THIS dish, is ESPECIALLY Great for Women (*dudes, CHILL) See why HERE